Saturday, October 9, 2010

Conditionals

I am sure most of you have had a conditional task, or a question put forward to you. That is, when someone uses an "if" in their argument, or statement, it basically implies a conditional.

The textbook defines a conditional claim as "a claim, which can be rewritten as an "if...then..." claim that must have the same truth - value. In a conditional claim, "If A, then B", the claim A is the antecedent, and the claim B is the consequent" (Epstein, 121).

So, a conditional claim follows a pattern of "If A, then B", but here is the fun part; a claim does not have to state an "if" or a "then" in order to make it a conditional claim. These key words can be implied, and looked at as a conditional. For example :

" You do my homework, I won't tell on you".
Here the antecedent is - If you do my homework
and the consequent is -I won't tell on you


No comments:

Post a Comment