Friday, October 1, 2010

Rejecting and Accepting Claims : Advertisement

This is the ad that I have chosen : Ray Lewis's Old Spice Ad



The claims in the ad are :
Women want me
Men want to be me
Animals want to learn how to talk, so that they can hang out with me
“Greatest Smell in the NFL “
Conclusion: Because old spice soaks out deodorants


The premises might be true for Ray Lewis. This is where ads can be very tricky. They project premises that are true only for the character in the commercial, but not for the viewers. I reject these claims through personal experiences. I use Old Spice every day, just because it is cheap. First of all, the premises targeted for Ray Lewis definitely do not apply to me. Not all women want me; not all men want to be me; and certainly, animals did want not to hang out with me just because I apply Old Spice.  Second, the theory behind animals wanting to learn how to talk, just because a person has Old Spice on, is illogical. It is highly difficult to even understand a human being’s thoughts, how can one understand that of an animal’s.
I also think that his premises are wage and weak. The conclusion is also as weak as the premises. One of the premises: "Men want to be me” is a very debatable claim. This is because, that claim relates to either his character, or  his body (physique). If the claim is regarding his character, then I know that most men do not want to be him, because his ratings have dropped after “he avoided murder charges and jail time in 2000” (CNN Sports Illustrated). I personally would never want to be like Ray Lewis, even if I have Old Spice on me. Therefore, I reject the claims. 

No comments:

Post a Comment