Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mission Critical

This website has a lot of familiar concepts that we have studied during this semester. I took the freedom to go over the ones that we have not yet covered, or I personally have not read. For example, I went deductive reasoning in Conjunctions and Disjunctions. In other words, arguments with "or" or "and". I learned that during the "or" claims, you accept one case or the other, or you reject it all together. On the contrary, an "and" claim is where, you would accept all the cases, or reject one. Another concept that I went over was the "two wrong" fallacy. The "two wrong" appeal basically states that when a wrong action is performed based on another wrong action, it is called the "two wrongs make a right" fallacy. An example for this fallacy would be,
Sam borrow's his best friend's watch, but never returns it.
Sam keep the watch with him , and does it give it back to his best friend.
Sam tells himself that his best friend would have done the same to him.
I learned a lot more concepts from this website. It provided loads of exercise problems, and clear definitions with examples. It was easy to reiterate the purpose and the definitions of various concepts.

1 comment:

  1. Hello SoccerFreak,
    I actually look at the same ones it seems like that you looked at because I tried to study topics that we didn't cover yet or topics that were very brief. I liked how you broke down arguments that invole or or and. It was a easy way to understand that or claims is you accept one or the other and, and claims you would accept all the cases involved or reject one. Also, the example you gave with two wrong fallacy helped me understand a good example of what it is. GOOD WORK

    ReplyDelete