Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Argument


Hi there, my argument is 



Cristiano Ronaldo is a professional soccer player.
Cristiano wears soccer cleats for all his professional soccer matches.
Therefore, every professional soccer player wears cleats for all their professional soccer matches.

My argument is a simple argument. One might think that this argument is true. Unfortunately, my argument is an invalid argument. Even though my premises are true, conclusion is not. You might think that I am being silly with my argument. For fact, the only professional soccer version that clearly states in its rules that, its players are NOT to wear cleats during its matches is beach soccer. Believe it or not, beach soccer is categorized as a professional sport. It is part of FIFA (the governing body for soccer), thus making this sport a professional sport. 
I believe that my argument is a strong one, because my premises cannot be thought in different scenarios. That is, my premises cannot be questioned. I say this with confidence, because FIFA has compelled all those professional players, who play on fields other than sand, to wear soccer cleats.  If these players do not wear their cleats, they will not be allowed to play.
Since, beach soccer is a professional sport my conclusion can be questioned, because the game does not require its players to wear cleats. Therefore my argument is strong, but invalid.  

1 comment:

  1. I like your example of the player, Cristiano Ronaldo is a professional soccer player and the best player in the world and he wears cleats so anyone who wears cleats is the best. I enjoy watching him play but I know that just because you wear cleats doesn’t mean you’re the best and your descried this by using the example of beach soccer players. I agree this statement, you may have the best cleats in the world but you need the skill of Ronaldo to be the best. You can even have no cleats at all like the beach soccer players and be the best at soccer proving your point.

    ReplyDelete