Thursday, September 16, 2010

Strawman

The straw man concept is a very simple, but a common fallacy that most of us use in their daily lives. I think that the straw man fallacy is, when a person uses another person's argument or statement as leverage, and puts that argument into his own argument; but this argument completely contradicts the original argument.
According to Epstein, a straw man fallacy is "knocking down someone's argument if you misrepresent it, by putting words in the other person's mouth" (Critical Thinking, 202).
I believe most the politicians practice this fallacy a lot, especially when it comes to laws and propositions.
Which bring me to my example, assisted suicide.

My friend and I were talking about the assisted suicide bill that was passed in California in the year of 2008.
He was telling me that, he supported that bill; He told me that if people are in depression or mentally ill then  someone should put them to sleep.
For which I said, "If you support this bill, do you support death and killing ?"

So, here I took his argument down, by misrepresenting his own argument and changing the dimensions and context. In my words, this is what a straw man fallacy is.

No comments:

Post a Comment